- The magazine
Biochemical Assays for Screening Workshop
Access to the latest Biochemical Screening Technologies
3 Day Practical Workshop
Date: 4 – 6 December 2012
Venue: European ScreeningPort, Hamburg, Germany
Taking place over three days at the European ScreeningPort facility in Hamburg, the workshop offered attendees the chance to participate in practical sessions using the latest technology available from six of the top screening equipment / reagent vendors in the pharmaceutical industry.
Partnered by Thermo Fisher Scientific, PerkinElmer, GE Healthcare, BioTek, Promega and Cisbio Bioassays, attendees learned about screening technologies and discovered what they can do for their company or laboratory.
Workshop topics included
- Choice of biochemical assay development projects: kinase, protease or histone deacetylase
- Kinetic characterisation of enzymes
- Km determination for substrates
- IC50 determination for inhibitor, signal stability, choice of liquid handling and Z’
- Aspects of adaption of assays for screening of a small molecule library (known drugs)
- Data analysis and classifying compounds as Hits
- Validation of Hits selected from screening campaigns
Outcomes from the workshop
Upon completion of the course attendees gained an insight into the key parameters to be considered when developing biochemical assays and performing small molecule screening, data analysis and validation of Hits in suitable Secondary assays.
Approved by the Society of Biology for purposes of Continuing Professional Development (CPD), this Biochemical Assays Screening workshop counted as 72 CPD credits.