Cell based assays for screening workshop
Access the latest cell based assays for screening technologies
3 day practical workshop
Venue: Fraunhofer Institute for Molecular Biology and Applied Ecology ScreeningPort, Hamburg, Germany
Date: 9-11 December, 2014
A series of practical sessions and lectures to examine the design and application of cell-based assays for small molecule screening campaigns in drug discovery. In the practical sessions, participants will have the chance to develop screening-compatible cell based assays, take part in primary screening using a small molecule library, and profile compounds in dose-response experiments.
Attendees gained an insight into the key parameters to be considered when developing cell based assays and performing small molecule screening campaigns, associated data analysis, validation of Hits and their annotation using a variety of cell health/toxicity/liability assays.
- Introduction to drug discovery and the design and development of cell based assays for drug discovery purposes – what can be achieved, lessons from past successes and failures, screening jargon and terms.
- Data analysis and reduction – going beyond the ‘Z′. Discuss methods to analysing in-vitro biological assays data including false positive/negative rates, dose response curve fitting and correlations.
- Analysis of images from High Content Screening assays.
- Reagent characterisation and selection of assays which will ensure translation of Hits between formats.
- Integrating your research program; design of project critical paths which integrate in-vitro, in-vivo and in-silico elements.
The workshop is designed for scientists who are laboratory based and actively involved in cell based assay development, validation and utilisation of such assays for screening against small molecule libraries; or managers who oversee and/or analyse experimental data. Also welcome are technically focused staff from academia, biotech, research core facilities or contract research organisations who may wish to extend their expertise.
Outcomes from the workshop
Gain an understanding of:
- How to develop appropriate assays for use in pre-clinical drug discovery.
- The processes involved in validating the Hits and identify Hits from small-molecule screening campaigns.
- The processes that should be followed in order to identify false positives/negatives in screening.
- How to use software for analysing images from High Content Screening assays.
- The advantages and disadvantages of using biochemical assays for screening.
- Approved by the Society of Biology for purposes of Continuing Professional Development (CPD), the workshop may be counted as 72 CPD credits.