The use of EMDEX® in a lactose-free reformulation of Cetirizine tablets
Spray-dried lactose is widely used as filler and binder in the pharmaceutical industry, but many adults are not able to digest lactose…
Therefore, it is indispensable to provide alternatives to lactose-containing drugs in order to make them suitable for lactose intolerant patients. EMDEX® is a promising substitute for spray-dried lactose as it has similar powder and tableting properties.
The aim of this study was to test a lactose-free reformulation of cetirizine tablets. EMDEX® was used successfully as a lactose substitute in cetirizine tablets resulting in comparable tablet properties in terms of crushing strength, disintegration time and dissolution profile. Furthermore, the EMDEX® formulation was characterised by an excellent powder flow and low ejection forces during the tableting process.
The rest of this whitepaper is restricted - login or subscribe free to access
Thank you for visiting our website. To access this content in full you'll need to login. It's completely free to subscribe, and in less than a minute you can continue reading. If you've already subscribed, great - just login.
Why subscribe? Join our growing community of thousands of industry professionals and gain access to:
- bi-monthly issues in print and/or digital format
- case studies, whitepapers, webinars and industry-leading content
- breaking news and features
- our extensive online archive of thousands of articles and years of past issues
- ...And it's all free!
Related content from this organisation
- Comparative evaluation of pharmaceutical powder flow using different analytical methodologies
- Scientific Poster & Whitepaper Gallery 2019
- Scientific poster: The use of EMDEX® in a lactose-free reformulation of cetirizine tablets
- Whitepaper: Influence of different lubricants on tabletting characteristics and dissolution behaviour
- Whitepaper: VIVAPUR® MCG – a powerful stabiliser for nasal sprays