Application Note: MicroNIR PAT for blend monitoring
The aim of Quality by Design (QbD) is to build quality into a product and process from the outset. The pharmaceutical and related industries utilise powder blending operations to make solid dose drugs, yet the phenomena of powder mixing is the least understood of all sciences.
The pharmaceutical industry is now being encouraged to implement QbD into all of its product submissions, thus providing a means for a manufacturer to show enhanced product knowledge and process understanding. To supplement QbD, Process Analytical Technology (PAT) is a must for better product/process understanding and the MicroNIRTM PAT Near Infrared (NIR) spectrometer, by Viavi Solutions is a compact, yet robust and powerful tool for monitoring dynamic blending operations.
This paper discusses how the MicroNIR PAT spectrometer was used to monitor the blend uniformity of a number of designed blends of commercially available coffee, sugar and creamer and to jointly assess the sensory preference of the blends in a way that is typical of the process used by a pharmaceutical company to better understand the powder blending operation in tablet manufacturing.
This application note is restricted - login or subscribe free to access
Thank you for visiting our website. To access this content in full you'll need to login. It's completely free to subscribe, and in less than a minute you can continue reading. If you've already subscribed, great - just login.
Why subscribe? Join our growing community of thousands of industry professionals and gain access to:
- bi-monthly issues in print and/or digital format
- case studies, whitepapers, webinars and industry-leading content
- breaking news and features
- our extensive online archive of thousands of articles and years of past issues
- ...And it's all free!
Related content from this organisation
- Viavi MicroNIR™ Tablet Probe unlocks accelerated analysis of pharmaceutical tablets & pills, food manufacturing and seed quality
- Viavi Solutions, Inc
- NIR In-Depth Focus 2017
- NIR Spectroscopy for Assessing Blend Uniformity in the Pharmaceutical Industry
- Application note: Implementing MicroNIR™ family of sensors for PAT/QbD applications