Case Study: Perceptive Engineering
Posted: 3 July 2015 | Perceptive Engineering
Perceptive Engineering discusses a two year collaborative R&D project it undertook to address challenges associated with the new generation of reactor systems used in production…
A new generation of continuous small-scale reactors that will enable manufacturers of high-value, low volume products to move away from traditional batch processes, has recently come onto the market.
These micro reactors can be used in parallel, to achieve production scale-up without the associated chemical engineering problems. The major benefit of these reactors is the flexibility they offer, i.e., the ability to manufacture a number of products using a single reactor by rapidly adjusting the operating conditions, with little waste material generated during the transition.
Typical benefits of such systems include a waste reduction of 10-15%, energy reduction of 40-70% and solvent process inventory that can be as low as 10% of volume in an equivalent batch process.
Currently these reactors require high levels of manual intervention, to identify suitable operating conditions and adjust the process as needed to maintain final product quality. This can be challenging; the design of the reactors, and the ancillary equipment they require, often result in complex system interactions.
This case study is restricted - login or subscribe free to access
Thank you for visiting our website. To access this content in full you'll need to login. It's completely free to subscribe, and in less than a minute you can continue reading. If you've already subscribed, great - just login.
Why subscribe? Join our growing community of thousands of industry professionals and gain access to:
- bi-monthly issues in print and/or digital format
- case studies, whitepapers, webinars and industry-leading content
- breaking news and features
- our extensive online archive of thousands of articles and years of past issues
- ...And it's all free!
Related content from this organisation
- Spotlight on… Continuous Manufacturing
- GEA and Perceptive Engineering – a partnership for the global pharmaceutical industry
- Quality By Design Symposium
- Siemens and Perceptive Engineering combining software solutions for the pharmaceutical industry
- Hot melt extrusion technology for continuous manufacturing