Whitepaper: Maintaining sample integrity with aerosol-blocking tips
Thermo Scientific™ ART™ self-sealing barrier tips were tested by an independent laboratory to demonstrate their ability to preserve sample integrity during use in PCR. First, the ability of the proprietary ART barrier to prevent contamination was tested and compared to other filter tips.
Second, the ability to recover liquid which was overdrawn into the ART barrier was determined. Third, the ART barrier was tested to show that it does not compromise or inhibit PCR if accidentally contacted by samples used in PCR.
Preserving the integrity of PCR conditions and samples is essential. For this reason, Thermo Fisher Scientific developed ART self-sealing barrier tips to prevent contamination and provide reproducible sample delivery.
It is important to select an aerosol-blocking tip based on its ability to prevent aerosols and liquids from contaminating the pipettor or subsequent samples. A total of three brands of tips were used in this test, but only ART self-sealing barrier tips were able to prevent contamination.
In the event the sample contacts the filter of a tip, it may be necessary to retrieve the sample. To prove the ability of the ART barrier tip to minimize sample holdback, retention was quantified using water.
Because of the sensitivity of PCR, a variety of factors can compromise the integrity of the reaction. This illustrates the importance of using aerosol-blocking tips which do not inhibit PCR or otherwise introduce contaminants into precious samples. To demonstrate that ART self-sealing barrier tips do not inhibit PCR, an independent laboratory evaluated ART barrier tips using protocols that duplicated actual laboratory conditions.
This whitepaper is restricted - login or subscribe free to access
Thank you for visiting our website. To access this content in full you'll need to login. It's completely free to subscribe, and in less than a minute you can continue reading. If you've already subscribed, great - just login.
Why subscribe? Join our growing community of thousands of industry professionals and gain access to:
- bi-monthly issues in print and/or digital format
- case studies, whitepapers, webinars and industry-leading content
- breaking news and features
- our extensive online archive of thousands of articles and years of past issues
- ...And it's all free!
Related content from this organisation
- New-generation benchtop mass spectrometer advances quantitative proteomics and translational research
- Reducing analysis time with the Thermo Scientific Nicolet Summit FTIR Spectrometer
- Application Note: Verification of three different Opadry whites using a handheld Raman analyser
- Application Note: Biologic drug identification at fill and finish
- Thermo Scientific TruScan RM with TruTools onboard chemometrics