Application note: Single use systems in microbiological environmental monitoring
This application note presents data supporting the validation of a single use microbial sampler impactor including a preloaded agar plate…
- The Petri plate was invented by Julius R. Petri while working at Robert Koch’s lab more than 120 years ago.
- It is one of the most simple and recognizable devices still widely used in microbiology labs.
- Over the years, a single-use, sterile, polystyrene Petri plate replaced the early glass versions.
- The Petri plate was recently discussed as one of the most successful and inspiring microbiological instrumentation designs that transcends the test of time (Denoya, C., Jan/Feb 2014, American Pharmaceutical Review).
- Petri plates are used in microbial air monitoring where a certain volume of air is forced towards the plate’s agar surface (active air sampling). Microbial contaminants present in the air will impact the agar surface and, after incubation, colonies can be enumerated. In this method, the operator manually removes the lid of an agar plate when loading it into a stainless steel sampling device. At this step, there is a chance the operator may contaminate the plate resulting in a “false positive”.
- The work presented here summarizes the validation of a novel, single use, sterile, transparent plastic impactor holding an integrated agar culture media plate.
- This design can be used as an alternative to the stainless steel impactors. The single use device eliminates the need for traditional agar plates and minimizes operator intervention for plate substitution, exposure and removal.
- Validation performance data and the benefits of this single use device upon implementation in clean rooms for aseptic manufacturing are discussed below.
Goal of this work
- Aseptic Processing is aimed to maintain the sterility of a product via the assembly from sterile components. It is implemented to prevent microbial contamination.
- This poster presents data supporting the validation of a single use microbial sampler impactor including a preloaded agar plate.