Application Note: Verification of three different Opadry whites using a handheld Raman analyser
Pharmaceutical companies that manufacture tablets, capsules, and other solid dosage forms use film coatings on their products to differentiate appearance and to improve palatability by masking unpleasant tastes or odors.
Film coatings also protect tablets from light, moisture, and environmental gases, reduce breakage and chipping, and prevent cross contamination.
In choosing a film coating, pharma-ceutical manufacturers consider the active pharmaceutical ingredients (API) and excipients’ attributes (e.g. solubility, stability, particle size) and the API’s intended delivery profile (e.g. immediate release, controlled release, sustained release, enteric release).
Colorcon® produces a range of Opadry® film coatings that are widely used by pharmaceutical manufacturers and available in diverse formulations suitable for various API and excipient characteristics and release profiles. A dry mix concentrate, different Opadry formulas appear identical and share a similar chemical compound structure making discrimination between them challenging. Traditional material identity verification uses wet chemistry or Fourier transform infrared (FT-IR) spectrometry and necessitates opening of secondary packaging, sampling the raw materials, transporting samples to a central laboratory, and expert sample preparation and analysis of results.
The rest of this content is restricted - login or subscribe free to access
Thank you for visiting our website. To access this content in full you'll need to login. It's completely free to subscribe, and in less than a minute you can continue reading. If you've already subscribed, great - just login.
Why subscribe? Join our growing community of thousands of industry professionals and gain access to:
- bi-monthly issues in print and/or digital format
- case studies, whitepapers, webinars and industry-leading content
- breaking news and features
- our extensive online archive of thousands of articles and years of past issues
- ...And it's all free!
Related content from this organisation
- Thermo Fisher to acquire PPD for over $17 billion
- Global bioreactor market to value over $16bn by 2027
- How data integrity is your first step toward a Pharma 4.0 strategy
- Moving towards the digitalisation of your lab, with the 8th edition of the Paperless Lab Academy® – this year, online
- ebook: Spectroscopy and materials characterisation applications for pharmaceutical analysis