Scientific poster: The use of EMDEX® in a lactose-free reformulation of cetirizine tablets
Spray-dried lactose is widely used as a filler and binder in the pharmaceutical industry, but many adults are not able to digest lactose. Therefore, it is indispensable to provide alternatives to lactose-containing drugs in order to make them suitable for lactose intolerant patients.
EMDEX® is a promising substitute for spray-dried lactose as it has similar powder and tableting properties. The aim of this study was to test a lactose-free reformulation of cetirizine tablets.
Cetirizine dihydrochloride belongs to the group of second-generation antihistamines and is used in the treatment of hay fever, allergies, angiodema and urticaria. As an H1 antagonist, cetirizine relieves the symptoms of allergic reactions by blocking the action of histamine at the H1 receptors temporarily.1,2
Related content from this organisation
- Whitepaper: The effect of humidity on tablet surfaces containing different types of superdisintegrants
- Whitepaper: Matrix effects on the performance of disintegrants
- Video: PROSOLV® EASYtab SP: The all-in-one product for higher productivity
- Video: JRS Pharma – The global MCC manufacturing network
- Comparative evaluation of pharmaceutical powder flow using different analytical methodologies