Application Note: Real time, low flow, pharmaceutical soil cleanability profiling with TOC and conductivity
Designing a robust cleaning process for pharmaceutical drug manufacturing is critical to successful cleaning validation and verification.
Historically, cleaning process design for pharmaceutical manufacturing was focused on reducing active pharmaceutical ingredients (API) with the highest potency or toxicity down to or below the maximum allowable carryover (MAC) limits. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as well as industry experts have placed an increasing emphasis on reducing risk and demonstrating process control and process understanding for validated cleaning processes. The concept of total cleanability and master soil identification is an emerging area of interest for risk reduction when developing a validated cleaning process.1
A traditional total cleanability study can be achieved by isolating each potential soil and, under worst case cleaning conditions (e.g. concentration, temperature, etc.) ranking all soils based on time until clean. Using the time until clean metric, a master soil is identified and the cleaning process is optimised around reducing the master soil. This method assumes that by reducing the master soil, all other soils will be reduced even further. Traditionally, these cleanability studies are performed using visual clean as the qualitative metric for ranking.2 The studies can be time and resource intensive, do not provide adequate sample frequency, and rely on subjective rankings such as visually clean.
The rest of this content is restricted - login or subscribe free to access
Thank you for visiting our website. To access this content in full you'll need to login. It's completely free to subscribe, and in less than a minute you can continue reading. If you've already subscribed, great - just login.
Why subscribe? Join our growing community of thousands of industry professionals and gain access to:
- bi-monthly issues in print and/or digital format
- case studies, whitepapers, webinars and industry-leading content
- breaking news and features
- our extensive online archive of thousands of articles and years of past issues
- ...And it's all free!
Related content from this organisation
- Application Note: Real time, low flow, pharmaceutical soil cleanability profiling with TOC and conductivity
- Understanding current CFR 21.11 and data integrity requirements
- Application Note: Simultaneous stage 1 conductivity and TOC lab testing of pharmaceutical water
- Product Hub: Sievers M9 Analyzers offer simultaneous TOC and conductivity compendia compliance testing
- SUEZ: Specialised solutions for the industry