Whitepaper: Dwell Volume and Extra-Column Volume: What are they and how do they impact method transfer
Method transfer or method scaling across different instrument platforms can be affected by both dwell volume and extra-column dispersion…
Each characteristic will have a very different effect on the chromatographic separation. Dwell volume is the volume required for the change in a gradient to reach the column, or the volume difference between the point of mixing and the head of the column. Dwell volume impacts the retention times of a gradient separation, but can also affect selectivity, particularly for early eluting compounds. Extra-column dispersion is a measurement of the broadening of a peak that occurs between the injector and the detector and excludes the column. Extra-column dispersion or volume impacts peak width, resolution, and the overall efficiency of a separation.
In this review, the differences of these attributes across a variety of instruments will be examined, specifically for their impact on methods transfer. We will also review strategies to minimise the impact on the method transfer.
This whitepaper is restricted - login or subscribe free to access
Thank you for visiting our website. To access this content in full you'll need to login. It's completely free to subscribe, and in less than a minute you can continue reading. If you've already subscribed, great - just login.
Why subscribe? Join our growing community of thousands of industry professionals and gain access to:
- bi-monthly issues in print and/or digital format
- case studies, whitepapers, webinars and industry-leading content
- breaking news and features
- our extensive online archive of thousands of articles and years of past issues
- ...And it's all free!
Related content from this organisation
- Waters New ACQUITY Arc Bio System brings advanced method transfer capabilities to routine bioseparations
- Waters BioResolve RP mAb Polyphenyl Columns, setting a new standard for reversed-phase separations of Monoclonal Antibodies and Antibody Drug Conjugates
- Application Notes & Whitepapers 2017
- Whitepaper: Dwell Volume and Extra-Column Volume: What are they and how do they impact method transfer
- Waters Corporation