Application Note: Biologic drug identification at fill and finish
The rapid increase in demand for biopharmaceuticals presents manufacturers with unique challenges to ensure quality and regulatory compliance while maintaining supply and production capacity.
Under GMP guidelines the identity of every container of concentrated commercial drug product and excipient raw material for use in a parenteral drug must be verified, therefore, each incoming bottle of commercial product must be tested in a QC lab before use in fill-finish production. For one pharmaceutical manufacturer and its contract manufacturing organisations (CMOs), this means several thousand bottles per year must be tested for just a single biologic product.
Fill-finish sites may not have the analytical labs with necessary testing equipment and technical resources to perform GMP-required verification testing of protein drug products. Consequently, these sites often ship protein product samples to QC labs for testing causing delays of several days in production and incurring additional costs.
The rest of this application note is restricted - login or subscribe free to access
Thank you for visiting our website. To access this content in full you'll need to login. It's completely free to subscribe, and in less than a minute you can continue reading. If you've already subscribed, great - just login.
Why subscribe? Join our growing community of thousands of industry professionals and gain access to:
- bi-monthly issues in print and/or digital format
- case studies, whitepapers, webinars and industry-leading content
- breaking news and features
- our extensive online archive of thousands of articles and years of past issues
- ...And it's all free!
Related content from this organisation
- Application note: Biologic drug identification at fill and finish
- Application Notes & Whitepapers 2019
- Increased raw material verification capabilities with portable Raman and XRF instruments
- Scientific poster: Advantage of antibody based selectivity in the purification of biologics
- Scientific Poster & Whitepaper Gallery 2019